Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement while I experiment with cut work. After finishing the buttonhole stitch round the design I have been reading up on the subject. So how is it progressing?
First I pressed the embroidery from the back into my ironing pack. This is an old sheet which I fold up so that it gives a soft surface for the embroidery to sink into.
Then into the hoop again.
For bigger spaces I found that you could add bars. From the books I looked into this should have been done before the buttonhole stitches, but I now know for next time.
You sew the thread across the space on the surface
Branching where appropriate. I hope these photos show how I did it.
You then weave a buttonhole stitch over the threads. I changed to a blunter needle at this point so that I didn't catch the fabric behind. This is what it looks like on the reverse.
I think these branching bars are made for leaves, so that was lucky.
Have also decided to do a form of buttonhole surface darning on some of the flower petals. As it's in white I hope you can see from the photo ok.
Well have to go and get ready now as off to a music concert tonight in Manchester. I'm having a busy time. Yarndale yesterday, hopefully I will get time to post about it. It was a brill day. Well done to the organisers.
Hope your stitching Sunday is going well.